The Real Blackburn Pump Escape and Bedford Van.From: Articles
Corgi models of the Blackburn Fire Brigade Fleet from their 9 Doulble 9 range of Emergency vehicles. Pictured are the Restored Pump Escape No 2 and Small Fire Unit No 9 Bedford Van.
Yes you thought the concept of a Small Fire Unit was a recent innovation, no from 1964 when I joined up to 1974 we responded to all small fire in the Bedford Van the type of incident grass fires. chimney fires, derelict property and rubbish fires.
It carried a 30ft Ajax Wooden Ladder, Pole Ladder for accessing loft spaces, 6 lengths hose , stirrup pump,standpipe key and bar, a small pump called a wheelbarrow pump and I forgot 4 Size 10 Coke shovels for beating out grass fires no flimsy beaters in them days.
And would you believe it, no wireless communication with control, so if you required assistance one of the crew took a tin from the vehicle which contained loose change and went to find a phone box. Bearing in mind that most of the time it was crewed with only 3 crew it left you a bit thin on the ground.
- A.F.S Exercise In Great Harwood
- A.F.S Guard Of Honour
- A.R.P Auxiliary Firemen Form A Club
- A.R.P. Training In Blackburn
- A.R.P.’s Many Blackburn A.F.S. Volunteer
- Ambulance House
- Blackburn A.F.S., Mayor And Importance Of It’s Work
- Burnley A.F.S Get Training
- Calling All Cars, A Film About The Courtesy Police
- Certificate ,Completion Of Training As Auxiliary Fireman
- Changes To Burnley Fire Brigade
- Darwen Fire Engine Hearse
- Fire Bobby Mark Pattison’s Ongoing Career
- Fire Service Changes For War
- Former Police And Fire Chief Passes Away
- From Police To Army
- Harry Entwistle Retires
- I Didn’t Know That Why Was there A Garage ?
- Lancashire Fire Brigades Friendly Society Awards At Lytham
- M.P. Shows Interest In A.F.S.Equipment
- Malicious fire calls.
- New Fire Srvice Uniforms For A.F.S.
- Santa Claus Among The Sandbags
- Scouts Visit Blackburn Fire Station